Monday, July 6, 2009

The Baa Brothers first Gig




This week I was all busy and anticipatory getting ready for the boys first gig at the
Harwich Junior Theater. (www.hjtcapecod.org) The Harwich Junior Theater is a wonderful theater and they continue to impress me with their outstanding performances. It's not just for children; people of all ages love this theater.
You are probably imagining that I was putting in a lot of effort training and costuming the boys because they were going to be in a big production. No, this was a children's class and the Baa Brothers were only asked to show up. I'm the one who got a bee in my bonnet about dressing them up. I also decided they had to have a magical impact. I started making costumes and knitting little socks with bells. Of course, the night before it started raining and then pouring and pouring. When I went to put them to bed in their little house, they were soaked. (They live outside, but they sleep in this little house that Handyman Harry built for them.) Their gig was in the morning, so I decided to thoroughly dry them before putting them to bed. This took about an hour and about 5 bath towels. The next morning it was still pouring so they were all wet again. I dried them again, but it was useless because it continued to rain. I put their costumes on and their little socks became so soaked that they started stretching and stretching and falling off their feet. The boys also looked soggy and smelled of wet wool. When we arrived at our designated area it turned out that the children AND their parents were there - a bigger group than I expected. The boys had only seen this many people at the nursing home and all of those people were in wheel chairs. The children had puppets and as part of the story the children were acting out, they were to touch the sheep with their puppets. As this mass of children, adults and puppets started descending on them, Bromley and Jobey panicked and ran circles around my legs. Quickly I crouched down and put an arm around each of them. They calmed down and eventually let the children touch them. After the children touched the sheep they all got into their cars to go home and the little Baa Brothers took a couple of steps forward and said, 'Baa... Baa...? ' . It was as if they were now disappointed that the children were leaving.
At the time I thought the event was a little bit of a fiasco, but, as you can see in the pictures, it really wasn't - the children loved them, they loved the children and I actually think the magic really did happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment