Thursday, July 23, 2009

So you think you can write?

(A stop on my walk in the Harwich Conservation Land, Cape Cod)

A party of amazing women rented Saturday Farm for a retreat and they are arriving on... Saturday :-) . They all met at a writers workshop by Joan Anderson. (Joan is the author of A Year By the Sea, An Unfinished Marriage and A Walk on the Beach.) I'm excited about their visit- Saturday Farm is perfect for artists and writers. This brings up thoughts about my writing insecurities, though. Of course, I've never claimed to be a writer. I keep journals and journals of poems, art, collage, dreams, and phrases that come into my head. I've been cleaning out the barn and I found a piece of paper with a bunch of words I wrote several years ago. I read it and thought, 'What IS this? Where did this come from? Is this some attempt at a poem, a story....? What kind of writer am I??? Who writes like this? Read it and tell me what you think. I seem to be lacking 'comments' (interaction) on this blog and I would love to hear from you.
Camelia writes of wrens while blue birds find ladies who fry
bacon in burnt pans in the alley with shoes and spiders and
love. How
many wrens fly kites over that alley?
How many times? And do they run into
other birds with their kites in the
rain? Yesterday. Yesterday it rained. It
rained in tear
drops rather salty on my face and in my hair - I had to use
swimmers shampoo to
get it out and even then it dried in pink streaks --
Hmm.. maybe from the
ink running off of the wrens'
kites.
































8 comments:

  1. Harry is very supportive. He's also honest and this time honesty ruled; he said it gave him a headache..
    I asked him if he commented. He said he couldn't comment with that! :+)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is poetry, just needs an edit. There may be several poems in there intertwined.

    Lots of lovely colorful phrases (reminds me of haiku)

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted my previous comment anonymously by mistake.

    This one is so you know who I am :-)

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Pat! I don't really know how to edit my creative writings. Maybe I can pair up with someone who is good at editing. I could just rattle off stuff and someone else could put it into some sort of form. We could have one pen name like Patty Cin :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poetry has never really been my thing. I just don't get it. And my lack of understanding paired with a high school experience where "poems" that I wrote for English class in about 10 minutes on the bus the day they were due still managed to land in the semi finals of a supposedly well repected literature competition, just further my suspicion that poetry is a bit of farce.

    In terms of a story, however, I think there is something nice in this writing. I like to think about birds flying kites and it's been a while since I've been reminded of the existence of wrens. I also like the imagery in the first line about the ladies frying bacon with the spiders. I kind of wish there were more...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking ancient acid..... =8~) Hugs to those Baa Boys. I miss their tinkly bells already, Lee-Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lee-Ann!
    (Lee-Ann is one of the amazing women I mentioned in this post). Explain 'ancient acid' to me. I get that it sounds like I'm on acid (it's natural! :-) but I am unfamiliar with 'ancient' acid.
    By the way, the lambs recognize a face for two years. So , next year you will not have to start over with them.
    Please stay in touch,
    Cin

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'ancient' mostly in how long ago i had any idea what the effects of such ingestion might incur. Heard the baa-boys have a cart now. They are quite a pair. --- the kite-flying wrens poem does have some pretty interesting images to it. I'm reminded of James and the Giant Peach, being carried aloft by the seagulls.

    ReplyDelete