Sunday, October 25, 2009

Life-size, As Any Other

I painted 8 4'x8' paintings of women. They told me how they wanted to be portrayed and each woman composed a poem to go with their painting. Each painting was so unique - one woman was completely naked except for a feather boa; a dancer did the splits and the painting hangs horizontal instead of vertical. I enjoy the idea of painting you who you are just beyond 'who you are'- who you are becoming. Please comment and tell me how you would like to be painted. This one is of Kerry, a musician and music teacher on Cape Cod. Her poem is beautiful. After I completed the painting, I noticed that the way her arms are placed makes a shield of two intertwined hearts.



I am always the only one
I want to blend in
Be recognized as the same
-even similar
Or just as good
But everything I am is different
So I dress a little less ethnic
Wear my hair a little more plainly
Speak a little less openly
So as not call too much attention
But now
Look at me,
I am as life-size as any other.
And can be called all of the things some never thought I should be:
Feminine
Elegant
Calm
Classy
Intelligent
Exotic
An
Individual

A goddess in my own right.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment