Monday, October 19, 2009

Why Sheep?


This post is for my urban friends and some of my artist friends who ask me 1) How did I even think of getting sheep and why? 2) Is it taking away from my art?
Farm animals appeal to me because they are generally working animals that give more than they take, which is why farmers have them - you have to be very practical to make a living as a farmer; you can't afford to keep animals that take resources and don't give back. Working with animals and giving animals the opportunity to work with us is a way of bringing mystery and magic into our life. A farm animal can give us that and affection, delight, joy and practical, tangible gifts like wool, fertilizer,mowing, weeding, eggs, milk, cheese... the list goes on and on. I'd mention meat and leather, but that is obvious and I'm a vegetarian so I'll leave that for someone else. :-) We need to be aware that animals can live without us, but we cannot live without them. I believe they are happy to work with us, but they do not need to be slaves to us and we do not need to be slaves to them either. They have a lot to teach us and give to us.
The other day my friend, Jenny, brought her daughter Emma over because Emma wanted to ride in the wagon. It was a big success. Jenny asked me how this fit into my life. And, actually, you know what? I realize that I believe this is art. It gives to people most if not all of the pleasure that I want people to get from my other creative work and I approached it like I do an art project. I had a vision of the Baa Brothers pulling a wagon and then I pulled together the media (the wagon, harness, etc) and worked to achieve it for the visual and tactile delight. I believe that if people have time with the Baa Boys (and other animals) they will be changed, delighted, touched, brought into the present moment....

No comments:

Post a Comment